Thursday 26 January 2017

Making a Waldorf inspired doll part 2 mohair weft wig

Making a Wefted mohair wig.
I am continuing making my Waldorf inspired doll by using mohair weft to make a wig. To see how I made the head of my doll please see my previous post below.This was my first time using wefted mohair for my dolls hair, in the past I have used either a crocheted mohair cap(most often dolly mo) or Tibetan lamb skin. I was excited to get started on the hair for this doll. The mohair is silky soft and the most gorgeous colour. The photos do not do it justice! As this was my first attempt at using weft I tried a few different methods before finding the method that worked for me.

starting the wig cap
I began by crocheting a chain and joining to create a tight center. I worked around the circle using single crochet stitches ( 2 per stitch). After the first round I added the mohair weft to be crocheted in. As I continued with this method I found the mohair wasn't lying the way I wanted it to. So I pulled it out and this time tried another method of crocheting the mohair alone. I found this to leave be with a too bulky wig. In the end i decided to sew the yarn cap first and then sew in the mohair exactly where I wanted it to go.
completed wig cap
To make my mohair cap i chain stitched 4 and joined in a tight circle. I then contiued around by doing 2 single crochets in each stitch. I tried the wig cap on the doll and adjusted what i was doing according to how the wig was fitting the doll. As i went out further from the centre of the wig cap I found I didn't require quite as many increases and so I began doing 1 single crochet, followed by 2 single crochets and continuing round. For the final round I crocheted 1 single crochet in each stitch as I no longer needed increases. This gave my wig cap a snug fit to the dolls head.

making a mohair wig cap

Once the wig cap was made I attached the mohair to it using a back stitch, I started at the back of the wig cap and worked round in a spiral until i reached the top of the cap. This left me with a small gap at the top. I cut the weft at this point and dabbed the end with clear nail varnish to limit hair loss. I then used a small length of weft to cover the gap. I wound this tightly in a circle until it was the size of the gap and sewed in place. This left me with some mohair sticking up in the middle of the wig. I held the hair down where i wanted it to lie before heating it with a hairdryer.
mohair wig cap
And here's the result! Please let me know what you think in the comments. I've now moved on to the body of the doll. I'll be posting some pics of her in my next post when she will hopefully be finished and ready for some clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

12" doll pattern changes part 2

I have been continuing to play around with my small doll pattern. I am now much happier with how they are looking . The image above is showi...